At Riverside, religious education contributes dynamically to the children’s education in school by provoking challenging questions about meaning and purpose in life, beliefs about God, ultimate reality, issues of right and wrong and what it means to be human.
We want pupils to know about and understand a range of religions and worldwide views so that they can:
- Describe, explain and analyse beliefs and practices
- Recognise the diversity which exists within our school community, wider community and within the UK
- Develop a positive attitude towards other people, respecting their right to hold different beliefs from their own and living in a society of diverse religions
- Develop the ability to make reasoned and informed judgements about religious and moral issues
- Enhance their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
Religious education contributes to our children’s personal development and to community cohesion by promoting mutual respect and tolerance in a diverse society.