Mathematics and Literacy Resources and Games
Mathematics and Literacy Activities.
Make your own flash cards.
Get an adult, or an older sibling could make the cards for the games below.
Take some plain paper and cut it into equal squares / rectangles of the same size.
- Number recognition – you will need 22 pieces of paper to make two identical sets.
Write a number on each piece of paper and draw the same number of spots to match the number below it (this will help your child to work out the value of the number). 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
- Colour recognition – you will need 20 pieces of paper to make two identical sets.
Write the name of a colour, and draw a circle and colour it in using the same colour. Red, blue, yellow, green, orange, pink, purple, black, white, brown.
- Sound recognition – you will need 52 pieces of paper to make two identical sets.
Write the letter of the sound in lower case. a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z
Games to play with the flash cards:
- Snap – 2 or more players. Share the cards out equally between those playing. Have the cards face down so you can’t see what is on them. Take it in turns to turn over a card and place it in the middle of the group. The next person puts one of their cards on top of the first card and so on. If the cards are the same you shout out ‘snap’. The person who say’s it first wins all of the cards and takes them. Then start again. The game is over when one player has all the cards – they are the winner.
- Pairs – 2 or more players. Shuffle the cards so they are not in any order. Lay them out in lines of 4 or more with the picture out of sight. Take it in turns to turn over 2 cards and look at them. Make sure everyone gets to see them. Next, turn them back over again but make sure they stay in the same space. When a player turns over 2 cards with the same picture they claim the pair and have another go. You have to concentrate so you can remember where pictures are. The person with the most pairs is the winner.
- Memory Game – 2 or more players. Choose one of the sets of cards eg colour. One person lays them on a tray face up so you can see the picture. The second person looks at the tray with all the cards on for 5 seconds. Then the first person takes the tray out of sight and removes one of the cards without the others seeing what they have removed. Next, show them the tray. They need to look and say what was on the card that was removed. The person who guesses correctly gets the card. Then the next person has a go. The person with the most cards is the winner.
- Ordering a number line – 2 or more players. Shuffle the number cards and lay them out so you can see the picture. Next, put them into order starting with 0 and finishing with the number 10. One player shuts their eyes. The second player turns over one card so you can’t see the picture. The first player opens their eyes and has to name the number that has been turned over. Swap over. See how quick you can be at naming the missing number.
- Sound Game – 2 or more players. Shuffle the alphabet cards and choose one. Lay it down so everyone can see. Together make the sound and then go on a hunt around the house to find an object that starts with that sound eg ‘a’ apple, ‘b’ banana, ‘c’ cake, ‘d’ dog, ‘e’ egg……. The winner is the first person back with an object that matches the sound. Together look at the sound card, say the sound and then name the objects that you have gathered.